Trauma-Informed and Trauma-Focused Program
Trauma-Informed Care Directs All Program Implementation at Corner Canyon Recovery
Corner Canyon is built on a foundation of Trauma Informed and Trauma Focused Care, and we work with clients who have experienced either simple or complex trauma. The experience of trauma is subjective, with some people reacting significantly to an event that other people experience no adverse effects from, differences that are probably partly genetic and partly situational. Simple trauma is when clients have experienced one traumatic event, like a severe car accident, rape, physical abuse, or even an emotional event like being chewed out by an authority figure. Complex trauma is exposure to multiple traumatic events, often of an interpersonal, invasive nature, and the long term and wide ranging impact of this exposure. Frequently people who have experienced trauma develop ongoing reactions to this trauma, called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which can include anxiety, depression, insomnia, nightmares, flashbacks, distrust of others, fear of reliving the event, and many other symptoms. It’s as if the brain gets stuck in the “flight, fight, or freeze” reaction of the sympathetic nervous system to stress and trauma.
People who experience trauma try to manage these symptoms so they can feel better, and some turn to drugs or alcohol to achieve relief, which can lead to addiction. Corner Canyon’s trauma treatment program is designed to treat the underlying causes of PTSD, and any addictions that have developed as a result. We use several research validated therapeutic methods including EMDR https://cornercanyonrecovery.com/emdr-treatment-center/, and Brainspotting https://cornercanyonrecovery.com/brainspotting-therapy/, and we now offer Stellate Ganglion Block (SGB) shots for rapid reduction of PTSD symptoms (recently published study by the Veterans Administration demonstrating efficacy) “Conclusions and Relevance: In this trial of active-duty service members with PTSD symptoms (at a clinical threshold and subthreshold), 2 SGB treatments 2 weeks apart were effective in reducing CAPS-5 total symptom severity scores over 8 weeks” https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/2753810) Current recommended protocol is two shots 6 weeks apart and follow up shots as needed.
Trauma Informed Care
Corner Canyon maintains a safe physical and emotional environment, which is the first pillar of effective trauma treatment. Connection is next, and our personnel are interested and invested in our clients. In addition to all the therapeutic processing they hang out, talk to them, play with them, and support them, including teaching and modeling assertive communication to work through issues and concerns regarding trauma and other issues. If feedback is necessary, it is delivered gently and with care. Managing emotions is third, and in addition to the therapeutic modalities we use, our phasework contains many skill building assignments, and there are ongoing assertive communication opportunities to practice managing emotions in interactions with other people.
What does Trauma Focused Really Mean?
Trauma–Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a version of CBT that addresses the specific mental and emotional health needs of clients and their families who are struggling to manage the destructive effects of early trauma.
CBT typically includes:
- Exposure to approximations of the trauma, for example talking about, drawing about, and writing about the trauma, experiencing psychodrama in which the traumatic event is played out and processed therapeutically, revisiting locations of trauma if possible, and any other exposure that can be created while still keeping the client safe.
- Identifying and challenging unhealthy or distorted trauma-related thoughts
- Teaching anxiety management techniques such as relaxation or assertiveness training.
- Educating clients about PTSD
To learn more, contact us today!
Details of our Trauma Program
Corner Canyon’s Trauma Treatment Program includes:
- Well trained therapists who understand trauma and have the skills to help clients effectively heal from trauma
- SGB shots for rapid reduction of trauma symptoms
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Art Therapy
- Psychodynamic Group Therapy
- Individual Therapy
- Family therapy when clinically indicated and agreed to by client
- Well-prepared food with attention to nutrition and flavor, based on current research on the gut-brain connection and its connection to depression, anxiety, and insomnia
- Weekly massages to assist in the healing process and introduce safe touch to those clients who have experienced physical or sexual abuse.
- Comfortable beds and bedding in a cozy home that is designed around client’s needs
- Regular relaxation that includes pool time and outdoor activity
- Helpful and respectful staff focused on the healing process
Our pre and post data indicates that client’s trauma symptoms dropped by 51% during an average length of stay, prior to adding SGB shots to our client’s options. We anticipate that because the shot works quickly to relieve PTSD symptoms clients will be able to fully engage in treatment sooner, increasing the benefits of our other treatment interventions for rapid improvement.